We will give an immediate and additional $100 discount from the following prices if you sign up on our mailing list and “like” us on our Facebook page!
Group ADec. 2nd - 7th
- The Philippines only, especially our very own Palawan Island Hopping!
- Sign Up
Group B (w/ flights)Dec. 2nd - Dec. 13th
- The full trip WITH return to the Philippines, inclusive of flights ($650 value) from the Philippines to East Timor and back: The Philippines, Palawan Island Hopping, Singapore, Bali, East Timor and return to Bali and the Philippines
Group B (w/o flights)Dec. 2nd - Dec. 13th
- The full trip WITH return to The Philippines, NOT inclusive of flights (you are free to book on your own with cash, points, or status!): The Philippines, Palawan Island Hopping, Singapore, Bali, East Timor and return to Bali and the Philippines
Group C (w/ flights)Dec. 2nd - 12th
- The full trip WITHOUT return to The Philippines (you end in East Timor), inclusive of flights ($650 value) from the Philippines to East Timor: The Philippines, Palawan Island Hopping, Singapore, Bali, East Timor
Group DDec. 9th - 12th
- East Timor only: Visit one of the newest countries on the planet!
The Philippines, Palawan Island Hopping
Singapore, Bali, East Timor
View Monsoon Diaries 2014 in a larger map
This December, travel in style from one of the oldest civilizations to one of the newest countries on the planet.
My journeys may have originated in Egypt, but The Monsoon Diaries began with The Philippines. Then we wandered and never looked back, until now: 70+ countries later we’re returning to where it all started, taking our trips to the next level: this one has it all for a price starting as low as $400 all-inclusive. If you refer enough friends to sign up, you might even be able to travel for free!
For our last trip of the year, we’re backpacking our way through the Philippines onto island hopping in Palawan, before hitting up Bali, Singapore, and finally the new kid on the block that is the Democratic Republic of Timor.
The trip begins in Manila, where we celebrate the night away with new friends before hitting up Palawan and El Nido in our private bus and some intense island hopping inclusive of a semi-legal overnight camping trip on one of the islands, again finishing up with an epic night out in Manila. The second part of the trip takes us for a night out in Bali via Singapore before we check out one of the planet’s newest countries, East-Timor, for a whirlwind couple of days before a final blowout in Bali. Trip can be done as is, or as one of 5 options.
We’ll be once again joining forces with Young Pioneer Tours (the same company that we partnered with on our recent trips to North Korea, Iran, Antarctica, Chernobyl, and Cuba) and their new offshoot company GN Tours on their newest and one of their most exciting itineraries (details below the following photos) to date.
Finally like any good backpacker, we promote flexibility on our trips by offering at least 4 price options to whatever part of the trip you can join on, mixing and matching as you like. Return travelers, previous pioneers, loyal customers, and former monsooners get a huge discount!
A visual summary:
Palawan Island Hopping
Dec. 2 – Dec. 7th
- Arrive at your leisure and meet at Southern Cross Hotel in downtown Makati
- Makati is the party town of Manila — we go out hot and hard here; karaoke, bars, clubs, the lot!
- Despite the night out we get up nice and early for the short flight to Puerta Princesa in the island group of the Palawan.
- On arrival we will be met by our private bus to start the 6 hour journey to El Nido. On the way we stop for lunch. This is a stunning drive with us heading through pristine Philippines countryside.
- We check into our private accommodation before taking the short walk to the bars, restaurants and clubs that litter the beaches.
- First day of our private island hopping in the Bacuit Archipelago with visits to Big and Small Lagoons, Commando beach, and Secret Lagoon.
- Fresh BBQ lunch by our boat crew.
- Evening out eating, drinking and optional clubbing in El Nido
- Island hopping to Snake Island, Cathedral cave, and Codugnon Caves.
- Fresh BBQ lunch by our boat crew.
- Evening out Karaoke’ing. You have not been to Asia unless there is Karaoke.
- A little free morning time in El Nido (lunch on your own this day).
- Afternoon departure for overnight camping on one of the close by islands for our own little October full moon party.
- Dinner at night with island BBQ and breakfast on the beach the next morning.
- On our return to El Nido we check out of our accommodation and grab our bus again for the ride back to Puerto Princesa.
- We stop for lunch on the way back and then for a quick dinner in Puerto Princesa before flying back to Manila
- Another night in the Southern Cross and one last thriller in Manila.
Singapore, Bali and Timor
Dec. 8th – Dec. 13th
- Transfer to the airport for the 10:40am flight to Bali via a 4 hour layover in Singapore
- While in Singapore, we will have a chance to clear customs for a quick city tour.
- Fly on to Bali.
- Bali is THE party town of Indonesia, so we check our bags at the airport and hit the town for an optional all nighter!
- After the all night bender that is Bali we board 9:55am flight to Dili, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste.
- Transfer to our hostel before taking a city tour of this formerly war torn republic, and one of the newest countries on the planet.
- Take a city tour of the capital which includes the statue of Jesus, resistance museum, and war memorial.
- Dili is a beach town, so we can party the night away in one of the many beach bars of the city.
- We take a bus out to Baucau, the second largest city in the country and major player during the war of independence.
- Stop for picture opportunities in the countryside.
- Visit the convent mission and take an afternoon volunteering with the orphans of the country, helping with some of the great work they are doing.
- Later in the afternoon we take a swim in the famous spring-fed pool.
- Hang out on the beach.
- Check into a beach hut and overnighting in Baucau.
- We take a very slow leisurely drive back to Dili, stopping off in the countryside for lunch and drinks.
- Early evening we return to Dili and check back into our hotel.
- Head back to the beach bars for our last night out in East Timor.
- Free morning in Dili before we board the 1:30pm flight to Bali, Indonesia.
- 2:15pm arrival in Bali where we head to the city and check into our hostel.
- Afternoon and evening dinner on the famous beaches of Bali.
- One final night in Bali!
- Board the 10:45am flight back to Manila again via Singapore
- Arriving in Manila at 8:10 pm.
- Last night at the Southern Cross, and the end of our trip!
Group A $795 (Manila – Manila, December 2nd – 7th)
Group B $1840(Manila – Bali – Dili – Bali – Manila, including flights, December 2nd – 13th)
Group C $1590 (Manila – Bali – Dili, including flights, December 2nd – 12th)
Group D $495 (Dili only, December 9th – 12th)
Group E $1190 (Manila – Bali – Dili, not including flights, December 2nd – 12th)
Price inclusive of:
- All transport
- All accommodation
- Internal flights (International flights between The Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, East Timor, and back to The Philippines from December 2nd to December 12th, if Group B or C)
- Unlimited rum on the bus
- Selected meals
Price exclusive of:
- International Flights to/from wherever you are to begin the trip
- Visa (we will advise you depending on your passport and country of residence)
- All meals (except for 7 breakfasts, and homestay group meal)
- Optional activities/day-tours/excursions
- Departure taxes and excess baggage fees
Interested? All you gotta do is email me: calvin[at]monsoondiaries[dot]com or sign up for our emails.